Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Glitter Ornament Tutorial

I'm going to be wiping glitter off myself for the next week. Glitter is pretty but, I definitely avoid it due to it's ability to stick on everything but what you wanted it to...

But today I decided to throw all cares to the wind and play with glitter.
I needed to make an ornament for my one of my work gift exchanges (yes, we have multiples. A Secret Santa PLUS an Ornament Exchange.) Being the crafty type, no store bought ornament would do! So I set out to create one. While looking around at Target I came across some glitter swirled ornaments. They were quite cute. So I set out to find my supplies...but my Target doesn't carry glitter (I know, right?!) So I had to go to the Wal-Mart across the street and got all my supplies there.



Materials:

-any sized ornaments in any color. (I used small glass ornaments)
-Elmer's Glue
-Glitter to match your ornaments
-Paint marker in white (or whatever color you prefer)
-a paper plate to catch your glitter
-paper towels (to wipe of mistakes)

Step 1: Use your marker to paint whatever design you like on your ornament. Here I just drew squiggles. On my other ornaments I chose stars and circles.





 Stars

 Circles

  Step 2: After the paint has dried (it shouldn't take very long), apply your glue in any design you like. You could go over the stars or draw something in-between the stars if you like.
 For my circles I decided to just put dots inside my drawn on circles. The beauty of this project is that it is completely up to you how you want it to look.

 Step 3: Add your glitter. Hold your ornament over the paper plate and sprinkle (or dump) your glitter on the glue spots. When your ornament (and you) are sufficiently covered in glitter, tap off the excess. You will have some glitter that hangs around on the paint and other parts of the ornament. That's okay. When it is completely dry (and you are standing over a sink), you can blow the remaining glitter off.



 ANNNNNND your done!! Easy peasy, right?! Let the glue dry overnight to ensure no smearing. Then hang on your tree!

You could probably use glitter glue to save a step (and mess), they just didn't have any matching blues in the glitter glue so I opted for a giant pack of glitter and some plain ole' Elmer's Glue.


Questions? Let me know! 




Alayna

No comments:

Post a Comment